Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fishing Report 3/25/12 - Two A Days...

Well I fished a lot today!! Getting in shape for longer fishing days. 

Started off the day at 7:45 am on new water I had never paddled before, Mattawoman Creek, MD.  In the past few weeks numerous MKF guys have had quality day there with catfish, bass, and crappie so I really wanted to give it a try.

I had not caught a catfish on a kayak since I was about 12 years old as well, so I was really looking forward to the opportunity at maybe a big cat.  Don (Shield) and I paddled down the creek to catch up with the birthday boy Ryan (shadyfisher85). He was anchored just off the channel and was using cut mullet as bait. By the time we got there he had already pulled in a nice blue cat.


I went ahead and anchored across the channel from Ryan and set my lines up with night crawlers. This was my first chance to use my new anchor trolley I put together yesterday.  No bites for a little bit so I casted a crankbait at the surrounding structure and land.... After a few casts I hooked up with a few fiesty bass in the 12-14" range.

I then notice a few bites on the catfish lines. I managed I think 5 catfish total (1 blue cat, 3 channel cats, and 1 bull head) I think. The largest was slightly over 18".


While waiting for some more catfish I hooked into a chunky little bass. It measured 16.5" but boy was she fat!! Ryan tried to toss me his digital scale, but the toss didn't make it all the way to where I was anchored, so I ended up just letting it go so it wouldn't be out of the water too long.

Didn't catch anything else until about noon as Don and I explored some more of the creek. Also, I lost my go to crankbait. I think I snagged a net because I could see a carcass floating in the water column.


I then drove home and rested up a little bit. Ate a whole pizza and then I was back at it. Took the yak down to my lake in my community and fished from 3:30pm -7:30pm. Started off bass fishing, but decided I really wanted to try and get a bunch of crappie for Kayak Wars. Ended up catching probably 20+ crappie with 9 being 12" or more. Jig of choice today was a Ravens Combo (Black and Purple).


Thanks ~MB
**CB3 when you gonna tag along and fish from your SUP?

No comments:

Post a Comment